Sign in to follow this  
BalayarCB

Nepali student missing in US

Pratistha Budhathoki, a 20-year-old Nepali girl studying at St. Cloud University in Minnesotta, US, has gone missing for almost a week now.

According to Nepali Aawaz, a New York-based bilingual newspaper, Budhathoki had arrived in an area called Estes Park in the state of Colorado where she had plans of working there during the summer vacation between mid-May to August end, a common practice for Nepali students.

According to reports, Budhathoki was last seen leaving for work last Sunday at around 9:30 a. m. but her workplace confirmed that she never arrived that day or since. Her roommate and friend Smriti Pandey told the local authorities and media that "she was the kind of person that would call us and let us know if she was going somewhere." However, she has not contacted anyone since last talking to Smriti before leaving for work.

Estes Park Police Department is currently investigating the case and hoping for leads to help find Pratisha Budhathoki. More details are yet to emerge.

She has already been found I think.

A Nepali girl, who went missing in the US, narrates her story

The 20-year-old Nepali student, Pratistha Budhathoki, who went missing from Estes Park, Denver, on May 18 has said that she went missing as she was in a different state of mind, and was afraid at the moment.

Pratistha Budhathoki (File Photo)

The student from St. Clouds University, Budhathoki had arrived in an area called Estes Park in the state of Colorado where she had plans of working there during the summer vacation between mid-May to August end, a common practice for Nepali students and went missing from there for 15 days.

"Last semester was a bit messed up in college and I hadn't talked to anyone about it. It had been playing in my head all the while and I was quite tensed over my college grades. It was all just bottled up inside me. You know, we are international students and it's not easy to live and study in the US because of financial reasons. So I was just worried that already I am spending so much money to study and that too I didn't do well at all. I was feeling down about all this and that day, I just decided that I wanted to leave, somewhere. I couldn't control myself. And after I left, going back became harder for me, just thinking about having to answer questions and everything. And when I saw myself in the news, it scared me even more. So I just kept hiding," She told Nepali Aawaz, a New York-based bilingual newspaper.

She further said that she could not contact anybody immediately after her disappearance with the hope that she will solve the problem on her own but later she could not contact others as her cell phone had died.

She refuted allegations that she had once tried to commit suicide in Nepal but acknowledged that she had gone through a phase of depression when her student visa was rejected.

Recalling her experience, while she went missing for nearly 15 days, she told Nepali Aawaz, "While I was in the mountain I ate at delis. Then I didn't eat anything for the rest of the 10 days, I was just drinking water. I was afraid people would see me so I looked for quiet parts of the mountain to sleep in. After I went to Mary's lake side I took shelter in the Woods there."

She further said that she was initially afraid to face her parents, who reached America at the same day she had contacted the local authorities and decided to reappear, but added, "When I saw them they talked to me and were glad to just find me alive. They are going to stay with me for a while. My mom might stay with me in Minnesota for a while but dad will probably return. It has helped that they are here for me."

She further informed that she would resume college and will continue her undergraduate studies and major in Finance.

Pratistha further concedes that she made a mistake, adding, "I don' t know what I was thinking. It's very awkward for me to get back to normal life."

In her letter to the Nepali Aawaz, Pratistha wrote, "I know weird things happened to me and its hard for people to believe my 15 days in wilderness. I was there in the mountains and the lake all by myself and my fear kept me hiding from everyone. No one is to be blamed for what happened to me. After all this happened and my publicity in the media has given me a hard time to come upfront."

Pratistha made headlines after she disappeared all of a sudden this summer. Denver police worked hard to locate her and found out within a few days that she was alive. Nepali community in the US, too, expressed concerns about her safety and urged police to ensure her safety. In Nepal too, people were worried about her safety as national media covered her story extensively.

The episode also showed at times things could go wrong for Nepali students in an alien land when they don't have adequate support system and don't have access to counseling when they need it the most. nepalnews.com pb Aug 19 06

Sigh!!!!!!!Garib desh ka Janta le Dhani deshma Kasari Padhne hola ni aba? Yin ko kahani sunda ta Kahile pani amrika ko nau nai naliu jasto lagchha tara K garne harek rat sapani ma US ma padhne kura matrai Dekhchhu.......

Aba K garne Hola ni daiba!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is teh girl found???

Sigh!!!!!!!Garib desh ka Janta le Dhani deshma Kasari Padhne hola ni aba? Yin ko kahani sunda ta Kahile pani amrika ko nau nai naliu jasto lagchha tara K garne harek rat sapani ma US ma padhne kura matrai Dekhchhu.......

Aba K garne Hola ni daiba!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speechless.

there r so many nepaliese lost everyday in india but they r not in newz and 1 single gal missing in US makes headlines...always money counts.

she had gone to US for study n her parents also afford to went there on very same when she lost..it shows she is not a poor or even a middle class comapre the financial or average per capita income of nepal.

Now i m going to join the one of the most reputed govt. job of India But even I feel if i ll get a chance to go US for c grade work i ll leave all his.

somehow all human want is money n i m not less.

what is the girls name? is her parents informed or not