Sign in to follow this  
shrbinay

convert tourist visa into student visa

i have a sister here in us ....she is over here on tourist visa ...but she want to continue her study before she go back to nepal....i need feedback from all..who know something about legal process on this topic

thanks....

Shrbinay

We had similar discussion few days back, you can refer to that link

http://chautari.wnso.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9000&hl=

also refer to http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

or

http://www.murthy.com ( you can chat with the lawer, monday evening for 30 mins or so.. you can ask her)

they will have the recent updated info on Visas!!

If you are still confused just call one of the universities international advisors. they should be able to tell you more definate answer.

recently what I've heard that you can do H1-B directly from visiter's visa if a company is willing to sponser, but its hard to convert to f-1 status.

good luck in finding the real info. don't forget to share with us when you know it.

~peace~

i have a sister here in us ....she is over here on tourist visa ...but she want to continue her study before she go back to nepal....i need feedback from all..who know something about legal process on this topic

thanks....

She can visit nearest USCIS affliated school. She has to show that she is currently taking some courses and have further interest in studying United States. Furthermore, she has to confirm that her financial status will allow her interested courses. Sponsership will be better if any chances are there.

Just a follow on question. I've got a B1/B2 visa which is valid for a couple more years. If I get a job in US, can I enter the country in with my present visa and change it to some form of work visa there?

Edited by santos

Santos

To address your question, I've got two things. If you already get a job in US, its better that the company you will be working for sponsers your visa rite then and you come here on H1-B.

It is also possible to change from B1/B2 visa to H1-B even after you arrive here provided the h1-B cap for that year has not met yet.

There is another senerio as well, please read the bottom:

The B1 in lieu of an H1B

In certain, limited circumstances the US Consulate may issue an employment-authorized B1 visa where the work to be undertaken would usually require an H1B visa. This provision is particularly applicable to situations where you may need a non-US company to send a member of staff to the US for a limited period in order to undertake specific projects for you, or where you wish to bring in an employee of an overseas subsidiary, affiliate or parent for a limited period. The requirements for acquiring a B1 in lieu of H1B are:-

The work to be undertaken in the US must be H1B level – i.e. the worker must be engaged in a ‘speciality occupation’;

The worker must permanently employed (i.e. not a contractor) and paid by the employer outside the US;

The worker may receive no compensation other than expenses from a US source;

The worker must have a degree relevant to the services to be provided– there is no provision for work experience to be considered equivalent to adegree, as there is under the H1B.

The B1 in lieu of H-1 visa generally takes 1 to 2 weeks to obtain, and considerably more supporting documentation is required than for a normal B1 visa. Periods of admission and extension are the same as for the standard B1 visa (i.e. generally 6 months).

If the necessary conditions are satisfied then the applicant can apply for a visa.

It should be noted that in rare circumstances, holders of this visa encounters problems when trying to enter the US.

This is because while it is issued by a US Consulate or Embassy, it has not been formally recognized by the BCIS.

~peace~

Thanks for the info Lucifer. I was just wondering how things worked. So from yourr post, I assume there is a limit on the number of H1-B issued every year. How does the cap system work? Is it so many H1-Bs per year?

Santos

Yes there is a limit to H1-B everyear.

1) people who have just completed undergraduate/bachlors 65,000 a year and I think they will add 30,000 more next year. so for 2007 it will be 95,000. (you apply that in 2006 before it gets over)

2)people who have completed masters and up: they will have 20,000-30,000 extra than above number. I meant projected for next year: (65000 + 30000) + (20000 to 30000)

Generally when it was 65000 the undergrad H1-B would be closed by august, tara higher studies would remain open till late. I think the H1-B for people who have masters or phd degree is still open till now for fiscal year 2006.

Even if you apply the H1-B well ahead of time, the date that you can start workin on H1-B would be from 1st october.

There are certain non profit jobs that dont' fall in this catogory like teachers, or social service workers, and hospital workers etc etc...I think their organization can apply their H1-B anytime, but those H1-B are non tranferable so you have to stick with the same company till you get your PR!!

Hope I answered your question. Shoot me some more if you have. Will try to answer the best I can.

~peace~