Sign in to follow this  
Bharat Thapa

Medicine cost in Gerogia

Thank you Ujjwal for your kind help.

72225[/snapback]

Ujjwal, I want to ask u if u get a job, what is the normal wage?? and are u allowed to work whenever u want or there are kinda limitations like only on weekends or vacations? As I am also studying medicine in germany I want to share my view regarding Expences.

I just wanted to allert all those who wants to study medicine on their own earnings. Frens I really want to encourage u to study medicine, it is much more interesting than the movie "Anatomy I & II". But as a nepali, we almost all have same problem called financial strocks. As Ujjwal says it costs ca. 1200 $ per year and plus 150$ per month, say monthly total 250 $$. So in one year u have to earn ca 3000$$. I don't need to pay fee, eventhough a normal expenditure is more than 4200 euros a year.

Normally u can use books from liabrary, but not always, u must buy some books. In germany medical books cost normally ca 80€. I am sure there is more cheap.

But in some colleges u may have no vacation ( summer and winter) for 2 years like in my. In which period u have to attend practicals like patient care( 3 months) and and even other things. So u better inform urself prior to begin ur study somewhere if u really have full vacations.

Second thing, even during the semester u can't be free like students of other faculties, as u may have exams always on weekend. Beside lectures u have lot of seminar and practicals. I have a great job in a Industry, where I can go to work whenever I want. I can do overtimes etc. But unfortunately I can't go to work as I don't have time after my college thingie. So I earn only that much what I need. I only want to tell u with these stuff that u may need sometime a financial help from ur parent or sponsor. Make sure that u need a flexible job.

Dear Rajiv,

The problem here in georgia is getting a JOB, of course. Not all of us are lucky enough to work and study, but it is not an impossible task as well. Some of us ( nepalese ) are working in sheraton hotel as a cook, some are working as technician in BP, and some doing their own business, while pursuing their studies.

Lot of our south asian counter-parts are involved in their own kind of earning options.

But obviously, most of us are financially supported from back home. Engineering students are spending about 2200 USD and medical students 3200 USD per year.

Living cost is not that expensive compared to the western world, but definitely costlier than our homeland. Few of us, have managed to get a room, paying a minimal cost of about 100 USD per year, and it helped us a lot to lower our expense. This is not an option for all of us, and not impossible too.

There are various ways of living here....... so it completely depends on YOU.

If you need any more information I would be glad to assist.....

I don't know if somebody is joking. and also depends on what do you mean by studying "Medicine".

Medicine has a lot of branches. Usually Studying Medicine means studying MBBS in Nepal. If you are planning to study a MBBS equivalent here in US, its not possible with 1000 or 1500 USD per year. Thats for sure.

First of all you need to understand the medical system here in US. To be an MBBS equivalent here, you need to pass class 12, then go to 4 years of Pre-med, then 4 years of Medical School. So its altogether 8 years AFTER I. Sc. or class 12 in Nepal.

The degree awarded here after those 8 years is called MD. Please note here that this is NOT the same as MD in Nepal. It is actually MBBS equivalent. I have known some ed. consultancies in Kathmandu fooling prospective students, telling that you will be a MD after 8 years. But thats actually MBBS equivalent.

To become as a MD in Nepal, ie, a physician, or surgeon, or orthopedician or whatever field you like, you need to do "Residency training". It is called Postgraduate training here. Its only after completion of such training and passing of necessary exams, you become fully independent Physician or Surgeon. The period of such residency training varies according to the subject. eg. 3 years in Internal Medicine, 5 years in general surgery (In Nepal, its only 3 years in general surgery too).

Now about the cost, the pre-med cost is an average cost like that of other subject, not very different. And you can work while you study. But the cost of medical school (that is the second 4 years of those 8 years), is about 20,000 dollars per year, even more in some places. This is why many people here, especially indians (NRIs) send their children to study medicine in India, or Nepal, or carribean countries, where the cost is much cheaper. And another thing, you cannot work while you are in medical school, as it is a full time study. So you can't even think about paying by yourself by working while studying. That is why the American Medical Graduates have a lot of credit by the time they finish their medical school. But nonetheless, you get paid in your "Residency training" (but not a huge amount).

There are some advantages of studying medicine here in US. You will be preferred over international medical graduates (those who study outside US), in almost all subjects of residency training, like orthopedics, ophthalmology, radiology etc. So if you or your parents can afford, and you want to stay here in future, its good to study here. you may even seek for credit help during your study. but its difficult to get loan for international students. Just think why a certain number of people residing in US prefer to send their children to medical school outside US. But nonetheless, who can afford it here, prefer to educate their children here. and I have known quite a few Nepali who have done their medical school here and are either doing residency, or have even completed residency and are working. But its all thanks to their parents who could afford the expenses.

Oh its been a long one. Hope it will help whoever is interested in studying Medicine, or want a future medical career in US. Bye.

I think I made a mistake. The topic started was about country georgia, and not georgia, US. My reply was about US. Sorry about that.

Yes, you are absolutely right. We were talking about Country Georgia, not State Georgia.

Thanks for information your provided, it has added extra information for those interested.

I made mistake when I initially created this thread, it should have been Medical Science or MBBS rather than medicine.