Sign in to follow this  
sandesh.acharya

XP Login Password Recovery

hi everybody,

i have a damn problem here. picked up a new password in xp for administrator login tonight (was with some frens chattig up), but this morning i completely forgot to what i changed... silly stuff.

tried with some (possible) hundreds of passwords but couldn't get there (i think i will never remember). tried to repair / re-install xp but couldn't do so.

there is only one administrator created in my computer... n i forgot for that one. and i also don't have password disk created previously.

so took off a hard disk and installed to another computer as a secondary hard disk... and was able to access the data.

but i need to access that from my computer.

please help - how to get over with this...

sandesh

If you can access the data of the (failed password disk) via another disk, Now what makes you want to login in that disk (with XP) ... I think you are just making trouble yourself.

Check if you have previously created anyother account with admin privilledge. If you have ,you can log onto them and change the admin password.

Possible suggestiion is google linux boot disk and change windows admin password.

If there are mission critical data. Back it up in another disk where you are allowing to access, reformat and reinstall windows..

This one is the easiest part.

To recover admin password use this tool (you just need one floppy disk)

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bd050303.zip

download it

unzip it

double click on install.bat

insert floppy

it will ask for floppy drive path

type a: and press enter

once it finished

Restart PC with that floppy disk

It's a linux version but easy to use

once it stops

press enter

you will see [windows/system32/config]

press enter

you will password reset [1]

press enter

you will see Edit user data and password[1]

press enter

[administrator]

press enter

enter new password

then press enter

Rest you can do it.

Other way is doing parallael installation and renaming SAM file and copying SAM from Repair directory but it is time consuming.

To recover admin password use this tool (you just need one floppy disk)

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bd050303.zip

download it

unzip it

double click on install.bat

insert floppy

it will ask for floppy drive path

type a: and press enter

once it finished

Restart PC with that floppy disk

It's a linux version but easy to use

once it stops

press enter

you will see [windows/system32/config]

press enter

you will password reset [1]

press enter

you will see Edit user data and password[1]

press enter

[administrator]

press enter

enter new password

then press enter

Rest you can do it.

71935[/snapback]

Woww, so simple like 123. incredible.

Other way is doing parallael installation and renaming SAM file and copying SAM from Repair directory but it is time consuming.

71935[/snapback]

Parallell installation? Since he already access that disk via another computer, can't he delete or rename sam file from that computer?

bros,

cool down. thanks for all your ideas. got that tiring hdd formatted... biggrin.gif everything in hands (under control)...

and yes, btw, can't we rename or replace that .sam file? any idea please?

otherwise, i'll again have to forget the password again and try some options to gain some knowledge (when i have time) ... laugh.gif

cheers,

sandesh

hi everybody,

i have a damn problem here. picked up a new password in xp for administrator login tonight (was with some frens chattig up), but this morning i completely forgot to what i changed... silly stuff.

tried with some (possible) hundreds of passwords but couldn't get there (i think i will never remember). tried to repair / re-install xp but couldn't do so.

there is only one administrator created in my computer... n i forgot for that one. and i also don't have password disk created previously.

so took off a hard disk and installed to another computer as a secondary hard disk... and was able to access the data.

but i need to access that from my computer.

please help - how to get over with this...

sandesh

71926[/snapback]

you can login as a guest if that is on and go to control panel then administrator then computer management then users and set the new passwords for any one. no need the previous passwords.

if you login by your name as a administrator then. then type administrator in user name and blank the password and enter.

ok sorry if I miss understood.

thanks

Nish

Give me yr IP , turn on yr computer and I can change the passwd from here.

72536[/snapback]

to login his computer from the Remote he must have activate the access to use the computer from remotely. so, not understood. may be use as secondary deive and edit the register and change the password.... may be it helps.

ok

Nish

Parallell installation? Since he already access that disk via another computer, can't he delete or rename sam file from that computer?

From other PC there is no way you can modify/delete SAM file. Once the windows is running SAM file will be in used whether you are logged on or not.

Ok here we go.....

Parallel installation means, you have to install in different directory. let's say c:\windows2 for example, default directory is c:\windows where the previous windows is located.

advantage :- It will not delete anything from the PC.

Then once the PC is started it will give you 2 options of windows 2000/XP whatever you have there.

select the newly installed windows

Once you boot from c:\windows2 (in eg.) it will use the SAM file from that directory, not from c:\windows\...... then you can rename the SAM file that will be in C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config directory.

Copy the one that is located at c:\windows\repair\ and paste it to C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config

Restart the PC and boot to old windows