Sign in to follow this  
linuxuser

Rooms available for few days in London

Recently came back from Eurotrip smile.gif I decided to comment on my trip, so that future visitors would know what to expect.

My trip did not go smooth this time. Problems started out when US Airways lost my luggage. Baggage claim at Manchester, UK told me to come back next day to pick up the luggage. Hello!! I had to catch a bus to London ( 4 hr bus ride ) the same day. So they offered to send it ( the luggage ) at the hotel I was staying in London.

Bus ride was ok. I expected nice country side views between Manchester to London. It was not that great. Just few cows, sheeps, and yes narrow roads.

It felt like I was in New Road, Kathmandu when I got in London. Congestion, griffiti, construction every where, wow!!.

Life is definitely too fast in London. People were rushing, running all over, to catch buses, trains, underground tubes ( subways). I should say transportation system is great in London. It took me atleast a day or two to understand their underground metro system. I liked the fact that you could reach to the other side of town in matter of few minutes. Hotel was not that great. Room was tiny, with minuscule bathroom.

I found everything so expensive, including food. McDonald had a bigmac meal deal for 4.75 pounds, wow, that is almost like 10 US dollars smile.gif

I hated the fact that you had to buy even water. Give me a break, water should be free!!!. I felt like english people just starve themselves. No wonder they are skinny.

I found it funny that they are almost no public restrooms ( toilets ). There are some but wow, you have to pay to use the restroom. That is one screwed up system.

One time I had to go really bad, so I decided to go inside KFC to use their bathroom. This stupid indian guy told me that you had to buy something to use the restroom. I had a big brawl with this lunatic. And yes, Indians are everywhere. I really think that Indians are the majority in London..smile.gif

What else!! ..oh yes, people are rude. One time We were in Picadilly circus area, standing in front of a street souvenior shop deciding what to buy. The owner of the shop actually told us to move on and that we were blocking other customers. Wow, that is amazing. I have never experienced anything like that here in US. And nobody has ever complained because I used their bathroom but did not buy anything from them.

Top of that, one of my friends got into a nasty argument with cleaning lady at hotel because that cleaning lady kept knocking at our room door,and telling us that the check out time was 10 30, when the guy at the check-in counter himself told us check out time was noon.

Anyways despite all that, the trip was interesting. Westminister Abbey was great. Bigben, parliament building was fabulous. Buckingham palace was outstanding ( got to see the queen by the way ). Sigmund Freud domicile was interesting. Got to see 221b baker street, museum was closed when we got there though.

London city hall building was intersting. Camden town market reminded me of markets in Delhi.

And yes We managed to visit Nepalese restaurant. Food was great.

Finally, it is good to be back home ( home away from home). I am gonna miss Kings-Cross station where we stayed close to.

I am gonna miss Kings-Cross station where we stayed close to.

72542[/snapback]

hmmm dilwale dulhaniya le jayenge bata....

i don't like the fact that water isn't free too...tap water should be free atleast. so did you spot any nepali momo pasals whilst you were in london then? did you also notice that half the stalls in camden market is ran by nepali people with nepali touristy stuff....a bit expensive for my liking though! the best thing about london is the west end though, so many plays and musicals you can go and see and shopping...i guess you have to be loaded to enjoy the city life!

DDLJ ? K ho tyo ?

72568[/snapback]

dilwale dulhaniya le jayenge-- the movie with shahrukh and kajol...the biggest bollywood movie ever...it's been running in mumbai for 9 yrs non stop...it's in the guiness book of records for longest period of time a film has been shown in the cinema. Edited by distant_memory

hmmm dilwale dulhaniya le jayenge bata....

i don't like the fact that water isn't free too...tap water should be free atleast. so did you spot any nepali momo pasals whilst you were in london then? did you also notice that half the stalls in camden market is ran by nepali people with nepali touristy stuff....a bit expensive for my liking though! the best thing about london is the west end though, so many plays and musicals you can go and see and shopping...i guess you have to be loaded to enjoy the city life!

Yes, We went to Nepalese restaurant next to Euston station. I think it is called Great Nepalese Restaurant. It was really nice inside. The menu selection was huge from Vegetarian Momo to Kachela to Gundruk ko tarkari. I thought the price was reasonable. Lassi was great.

Yes I noticed bunch of Nepali at Camden market. Those small stalls really reminded me of Delhi and Bangkok. It is cool though. But I think you have to watch out for thugs and pick-pockets. Also, at two different occasions, we got into small brawl with punks standing there ( smoking joint ). HeHe!!

Another thing I noticed, the fashion over there is just too different. You dont see guys wearing Pink tight jacket here in the US. and almost everybody wears 1970s PUMA over there!! smile.gif

Edited by linuxuser

Yes, We went to Nepalese restaurant next to Euston station. I think it is called Great Nepalese Restaurant. It was really nice inside. The menu selection was huge from Vegetarian Momo to Kachela to Gundruk ko tarkari. I thought the price was reasonable. Lassi was great.

72584[/snapback]

wow...theres a nep restaurant place near euston...no way, i've been to london a few times this past few months...and i've never come across it, it must be tucked away somewhere. i'll be watching out for it in my next visit there...!!

and personally i think camden town is very much like thamel, the goods they sell is pretty much the same...lots of incense and tiger balms and silver jewellery...well it's all very touristy and it consists of nepali faces...couldn't be more thamel like!

Edited by distant_memory