Sign in to follow this  
webber

NAV 2003 Problem in my system ..

Well I am using WinXP with SP1 and I have installed Norton Antivirus 2003. I have got problems with my NAV and just cant get update virus definition. Whenever I tries to update the ERROR message will dispaly like this :

LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec product and component updates. Please verify that you are able to connect to the Internet and run LiveUpdate again.

Ofcourse my system is in LAN and net is connected 24 hrs a day. Well seems something wrong in my NAV, may be some viruses is making problem. yeah and one thing whenever I tries to open www.symantec.com it doesnt opens at all. It takes an IP as 127.0.0.1. Well any ideas for solving this problem just help me out .. and better solve my problem without uninstalling the NAV

I have downloaded intelligent updater abt 8 mb size and installed and tries to scan, even doenst display any threats .. Ok guys help me out ........

Intelligent update is for something when you know every aspect about NAV. 127.0.0.1 is the loop back address which is the internal IP address of your computer. It is used for network card testing.

As you said I assume you are not connected to the internet....your NAV is bouncing back from your network card. In this case...

1. Are you connected to the internet? If so scan your computer by online virus checker for free http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ this is the place to check

2. Have you had any P2p networl like kazaa or things? they miuight have entered spyware.

3. Have you played with your registery? this might cause internet disconnection.

4, Pass me errors if it gives you specifically.

5. Have you run any spyware. I know it is stupid but it fix the problem sometimes.

6. Have you got firewall? it might be blocking your NAV live updater. Try shutting your firewall and start updating,see what it happens.

Webber bro

This might help you

simply go to

start

run

type notepad

click on OK

click on file

select open

Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

select file of types to ALL FILES

you will see 2 hosts files

open the top hosts file

You will see some text message starting with #

then followed by

127.0.0.1 localhost

something related to symantec, update etc...

Leave 127.0.0.1 local host and those starting with #

hightlight other entries and delete them

Save it

Reboot

Your problem should be fixed

if this doesn't help visit the following links

1. Remove the entries from the host file

2. Error: "LiveUpdate could not get the list of updates. LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file . . ."

Edited by Himal Rai