Sign in to follow this  
mohanbh

Confirming The Hard Drive !

Hello Friends.

How can I confirm whether my hard drive is in good (working) condition or not? Is there any way to retrieve data from a hard drive that is not detected by BIOS? If yes the could you people suggest me the correct way so that I could be able to retrieve my data from a hard drive that is not being detected.

I think my hard drive is physically damage as it is not being detected by BIOS and some during booting some sounds come from it.

I hope you people will definitely help me.

To really confirm whether or not your harddrive is dead, you have to mention the scenario before and after your hard disk dead.

Hard disk are not dead easily sometimes it just mislead you.

What OS were you using?

Have checked the hardware settings? or try reinstalling any Os and what it says?I f it keep on going just install OS without formatting anything, data is easily recovered in this case.

sometimes your other component might be faulty like harddisk controller or the motherboard, No i never heaed anything like recovering data from BIOS but you can try this software, if you can replace any other harddrive.

http://www.fdepot.com/main_list.asp...very%20Software

and this:

http://www.sharewareorder.com/R-Lin...nload-19886.htm

this:

http://www.newfreeware.com/utils/617/

I have a sticky above about PC troubleshooting , try that and if it doesn't help come and ask here. And tell me the scenario step by step. Your HD might be working fine.

For now,

1.Try replacing another HD and see what it says.

2. Try any OS re-installation and see what it says when partition option comes.

Hello rajunpl

Here goes the scenario:

* There were 2 Hard Disks in my system. And one of them was loaded with OS (Windows XP) and the other was just used for storing the data.

* All my data were in the second hard disk which was not having any OS. And We were listening music from the second hard disk (the one with no OS). Suddenly there was cut-off in the power (electricity) supply and the system rebooted. As soon as the system rebooted, it didn't detect my second hard drive (the one with no OS). There was a sound (cracking sound) during the reboot. But the system loaded as the OS was in the first hard drive.

* Then I just tried to detect it in the BIOS but the BIOS also didn't detect it and I tried it individually also but could not.

* Hence I thought that my second drive was damage physically.

This is the scenario. If possible could you people suggest me some ways so that I could recover my hard drive (if possible) otherwise atleast my data.

Thank you.

Hello rajunpl

* Then I just tried to detect it in the BIOS but the BIOS also didn't detect it and I tried it individually also but could not.

* Hence I thought that my second drive was damage physically.

Thank you.

53801[/snapback]

There could be two reason

1, Either your head of the hard disk has been collide with platter, In this case It makes a noise and data recovery is possible on the professional Labs only.

2.Since you said that you haven't seen any of them on the BIOS, Recheck your cable orientation. Bring new hard disk and try to adjust it on the same stage, If new HD appears on the BIOS than the culprit is your hard disk. ........Hence proved !! your hard disk is failed.

Now again you are not sure if both or either one of them has been failed. So the best bet is buy new HDD, set it as a Master, format it with as you did on the previous HD. (either FAT32 or NTFS) . Now put the old HDD's one by one as a slave settings. If your HDD is appeard try one of the link i have given you for data recovery, If it works..works...If not you can't get them.

Now,

Always back up your HDD contents on CD-R or so in case of failure you can easily recover, remember you have a lesson to be learned, So always backup in advance.

Edited by rajunpl

Rajunpl has already explain a lot.

Anyway here we go.

First thing take the second hard drive out and change the jumper setting to make it primary. Take out the first hard drive that is working. Connect the one which was not detected. Restart your computer and see whether BIOS can detect your hard drive.

If yes then you know what's the problem is. shut down your PC and make it secondary hard drive and connect to the same hard drive controller if you have a connection if not change the other hard drive controller I mean get the new one and connect it the way it was before.

If you do not want to do that then last thing to do is to upgrade the BIOS.

Go to the manufacturer site and download the appropriate BIOS. You can find the instruction also. That could help to solve the problem but not sure.

Hello Himal Dai

Thanks for yours' suggestions. OK, I'll do accordingly and let u know the result. If this time also I'll not be able to recover my data, hope you people will definitely suggest me further more.

Thank you once again.