Sign in to follow this  
Pokhrel

Doctors' evaluation!

Depends on the place, if you go to rural area people won't know what is Phd all about. They only know a doctor with stethoscope. For them Engineer is the one who sketches the picture of the house, doctor checks the condition of the sick and gives medicine.

It all depends whether you are in a right place or not. In the majority of educated people Phd has honourable place.

Thanks Dotcom and distant_memory!

In some extent I agreed with Dotcom. However distant_memory seems to be biased to medical doctors. I am not very much satisfied with “anyone can have a phd...not a big deal at all however not everyone can be a medical doctor...”

Any way, thanks a lot once again for sparing your precious time in generating generous comments.

in my view both of them are equally honourable .

But it lies in the eyes of common classes how they judge them?

Rather then the degree or the post they gain ,they can be best judged with the service they provide to the society, and the way they utilize their knowledge for the welfare of the commmon classess......

no degree and lots of service is more honourable than only degrees but no service...........

what do you feel?

(are you a mediacal student?)

wink.gif

QUOTE (distant_memory @ Oct 8 2003, 03:14 PM)
anyone can have a phd...not a big deal at all however not everyone can be a medical doctor...(i'm biased!)

how many medical dr. we have in nepal and how many phd dr. we have in nepal? from this data, you can easily analyse, which one is difficult to get.

tehi phd dr. huna aatayaa

allare..

well actually just cause phd is rare in nepal doesn't make it great...it's not something that's really established in nepal and there isn't enough funding or facilities to take up a degree such as this. it takes 7 yrs part time and 3 yrs full time to do this degree and when other things are at the top of the list in nepal, phd isn't likely to be prioritised. well you can do phd in practically anything from hairdressing, cooking to complex molecule studies...you don't have to be great at studies to do this!

as for a doc...every step of his life is a hurdle...get high marks at SLC..then ISc then actually face the competition of getting into med school...then actually staying in those hard 5 yrs and then actually be competent enough to practise the license that you have been given to heal!! you try being a miracle worker and we'll see who's "bigger"...(like i said before i'm biased...so you'll have to excuse my favouritism)!!!

Thanks satyanbasnet, allare and distant_memory for your comments!

Neither I am a medical nor a Phd student. This is just my curiosity to discover something on these degrees. I fundamentally accept the point expressed by satyanbasnet ji that "the services are honourable rather than degrees".

In the mean time, I also keep concern on the sentence jotted down by allare ji “how many medical dr. we have in Nepal and how many Phd dr. we have in Nepal? from this data, you can easily analyse, which one is difficult to get. tehi phd dr. huna aatayaa”.

In addition to that thanks to distant_memory for generous points that have been issued in favour of a medical doctor. Nevertheless, I do have some reasons and facts in my mind which revitalised Phd as a prominent degree and of course which have an upper and honourable place in the society.

As I understand DOCTOR is an honour given to medical practitioners in recognition of their excellence, whereas PHD is an academic one. Medical doctors have more social responsibilities but I think its harder to get a phd than mbbs. I am not into any of these anyway. I might be wrong.

Deven