Sign in to follow this  
E major

Traces of Sex in Nepali Romantic songs

Have you ever noticed the traces of sex in some of the romantic Nepali songs? Perhaps some of you might have. Or perhaps there is no such traces, its just my feeling. Since this is supposed to be a free world I am going to put forward what I have analysed.

Have you heard the song of Prakash Shrestha called "Timi sanga dunga ma ghumda ghumdai phewataal". Well there are few lines in the song which goes on like this.

( Song explains situation as a couple is in a boat on Phewa lake)

Khuttale khelaundai paani, timro kaakha sirani

Paksyaurile ghaama cheki timimuskayeki, meri raani.

Baadalama aankha chopcha maachapuchre himal (Machapuchre hides behind the clouds)

Dekhi kana bhatkiyeko sankocha ko parkhal (As he can not watch what is going on) [Just a simple translation]

So what "Sankocha ko parkhal bhatkinu" means? It means there is going something beyond the boundry line, thats why even mountain hides himself. If in Nepali society just a touching, hugging and kissing deifnes the cross of limit line, then the couple might have been doing that. Otherwise I can just wonder what they were doing.

Another song is that of Narayan Gopal. Whole song either explain the depression (most probably sexual) of young guy or..... I don't know what. Song goes like this

Galti hazaar hunchan yahan hoos harayeko bela

Eklai timi na aau ma maatiyeko bela.

Mera yi haata harule kahin ghaat garna sakcha (Is touching her is really a ghat?)

Ani pyaar garda gardai paapa pani garna sakcha (How we distinguish Paap and Pyar?)

Roop ko k mulya huncha ma pasu bhayeko bela

Kahin dharma garne niu ma balidaan huna napaaos (Why it is always women give "Balidaan" not man, don't man loose anything?)

Sampoorna angaa baandhi atyachaar huna napaaos (Atyaachaar???????)

Mera kaamana haru le malai harai dincha (Well, if Kaamanaa does not conquers in this case, I doubt his manly hood)

Timi bhanda timro youban kahin man parai dincha

Ratyak malai nasamjha rakchyas bhayeko bela.

The author of the lyrics most probably is in dillemma concerning if Sex is natural phenomenon or Sin (here the situation, in my opinion, is befor marraige). But the lyrics in itself is really admirable. No other such lyrics is there in the history of Nepali music, or there is, may be I just don't know.

In this song, he is actually talking all about sex or making love, no matter how one puts it. But what we need to take care here is that, song does not give you the feeling of "Aslil"(vulgarity. Infact what I say is " Literature makes the "Aslil", a "Slil" (decent, clean)).

Sahitya le aslil lai slil ma paribartan garcha.

good observation hou e- major bro

so you found that there are plenty of sexual contents in nepali songs. I feel same, but its not bad. Its good that, we do not have song like ".... koun jita koun hara, khidki me se dekho jara.... kamdev bhi.. blah blah..(i forgot the starting but it was quite popular at that time)" well, not to mention english songs where you can find these things in most of songs.

coming back to nepali songs, I have not thought so deeply about lyrics of those song though heard thousand times.

Funnyly, today i read the sanibar anka of kantipur and found one article (http://www.kantipuronline.com/kantipur_html/kantipur_news9.htm#6

) by sahadev dhungana. You might be wondering who is this. Yeah, malai pani thaha thiyen ko ho bhaner.. do you remember the song bijuli ko tar tar.. laugh.giflaugh.gif yeah, he wrote that song including some other famous filmi song like

narayan ghatai ma, kati chandai maya basyo, ekai raatai maa.

if you try to find the meaning of this line (like some narayanghat basi people did and gave hard time to sahadev while he was there according to his article) then one can question, what is this maya that can happen in just one night? narayanghat ko manche le bhanyo re.. yo song le ke narayanghat lai beshyalaya bhanna kojheko ho? kura pani thikai ho.. depending upon how one interprets the meaning.

Je bhaye pani e major, i am agreed with your observation about song, but not agreed with conclusion that you made. Literature (or say song in this context) le aslil lai pani salil banauncha. In my opinion, sabda (word) afai ma vulgur ra non volgur hundaina, depending upon their use, expression and contenxt, (yeah interpretation also) makes them salil and aslil. Natra bhaye, prono magzine lai bro le ke bhancha? thats also part of literature. laugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by allare

QUOTE (allare @ Jun 23 2003, 11:05 AM)
good observation hou e- major bro

Je bhaye pani e major, i am agreed with your observation about song, but not agreed with conclusion that you made. Literature (or say song in this context) le aslil lai pani salil banauncha. In my opinion, sabda (word) afai ma vulgur ra non volgur hundaina, depending upon their use, expression and contenxt, (yeah interpretation also) makes them salil and aslil. Natra bhaye, prono magzine lai bro le ke bhancha? thats also part of literature.  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

very nice thread. thanks e-major.

there are lots of nepali songs, i don't remember many but the song of ram thapa "thok na madal thok, sanu maya ko khanchho chha mouka pare bok!"

and lots others......

like allare i have read one poem

mero adharka dasaaiharule,
dagiyeka timra anga-pratanga haruma
timi glani mahasus garchhau bhane,
tyo bhool mero prem thiyo, preeya
timi malaai aru sraap nadinu

what do you think about above poem? its so complicate and hard to define what that really mean and its like allare

"sabda (word) afai ma vulgur ra non volgur hundaina, depending upon their use, expression and contenxt, (yeah interpretation also) makes them salil and aslil.

Well, it seems that lots of people are feeling the same way I do, and lots of other did analysis too. Thank you allare and Kamal for more examples.

Though Literature may not completely change aslil into slil but still it prevent the vulgarity to reach its height. as for example when we listen to Narayan Gopal's that song the embarrasement is much less then when we listen to "Choli ke piche kya he" kind of song.

And about Ram Thapa's "Thok na madal Thok" and Sahadev's song they are really going below the limit.

About following verse, whooow ....... Just can say whoooow.

mero adharka dasaaiharule,

dagiyeka timra anga-pratanga haruma

timi glani mahasus garchhau bhane,

tyo bhool mero prem thiyo, preeya

timi malaai aru sraap nadinu

(If I translate it in non-literature way it will be --- If you regret the love we made (sex), then let me tell you its just my love, don't blame me).

Edited by E major

major bro (again e minus).. haha..

how do you say that ram thapa's song and sahadev's song are going below limit? how can you define limit? tehi geet lai serious bhayer gaayo bhaner ramro hune ra, jhyure para le gayo bhane below limit? below limit bhaye pani nepal ko Bus, FM, average hotel ra bhatti haru ma yahi ram thapa ra bijuli ko tar tar suninthyo pahila ta.. ahile chanchi thaha chhaina..

If you analyse in that way then, i guess that, kumar dai ko average geet haru vulgur chha jasto laagchha. narayan dai ko euta popular geet..

Malai maaf gari deu.. mera lovi nazar kanhi katai ma aljhe chha bhane..

what is this lovi nazar.. ??

Quite right "All + are". Sayada maiel ali badi nai bhane kyare "below the limit" bhanera. It all depends upon how people translate it. But some words are really very clear that it is vulgar.

"Adhar ko dasai" bhanna le kiss bahek aru k bujna sakincha.

Tara "Lobhi nazar" bhanna le naramro distri le hernu ko saath saathai ramro chij prati attract hunu pani bujhincha.

"Ekai raatma maaya basnu" well khoi maile yeslai non-vulgar tarika le translate garne upaye bhettauna sakina. Tesaile, some are really vulgar, some can be translated into vulgar.

I want to write about a song which on my sense is quite vulgar.This is the song from nepali film goreto.

In one song"marilaanu k chha ra",there is one line "mayalu ko chhati bhitra rahichha hai paanbuttaa".What does it mean?

I can find three possibilities.

1. May be this guy has seen her "Chaati" and there is a tatto of love sign.

2. Since we draw heart in love sign, so he means there is a heart insde her Chatti"

3. ( I apologize if this sounds vulgar) He is talking about her BOOBS

All above cases are valid if the song is sung by Male. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

QUOTE (E major @ Jun 24 2003, 12:34 PM)
I can find three possibilities.
1. May be this guy has seen her "Chaati" and there is a tatto of love sign.
2. Since we draw heart in love sign, so he means there is a heart insde her Chatti"
3. ( I apologize if this sounds vulgar) He is talking about her BOOBS

All above cases are valid if the song is sung by Male. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Dear emajor,

I go for 2nd possibility which is quite close.

I do not think that this is vulgur song, it just depend on taste. You may love to listen english song saying same or even far more than this, but when it comes to nepali song, we imagine all vulgur things in song. Its depend on how you imagine the song.