Sign in to follow this  
PuTer

Windows Terminal Server - How?

Life Savers, please help!!!

I recently joined new company and asked to save their messy IT from scratch. I can do most of Networking bit but I am scare about something explained below.

How can I setup Windows 2000 or most probably 2003 server for terminal services where client computer will have NO operation system, they will connect to terminal server to use any application or services?

Can anyone have computer without Operating System that run from Terminal server?

Help!!!!!!!

QUOTE (PuTer @ Jun 19 2003, 03:46 PM)
where client computer will have NO operation system, they will connect to terminal server to use any application or services?

I have never heard about installing clients for terminal server (Windows 2000 or 2003) without having OS.

Anyway, this is what I know.....and this is how I have done...

Clients for Terminal Server inlcudes :-

- Windows 3.x 9x, NT, CE, 2000.

- For Unix, Macintosh and MS-DOS you need additional software.

Terminal Services can be enabled in 1 of 2 modes

1. Remote Administration Mode.

You won't need license but limited connection. I think only 2 so that doesn't meet your requirement.

2. Application Mode.

After 90 days need to buy license. about connection you can limit if it is required. It is recommended to install on an NTFS partition.

- Open the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel.

- Click Add/Remove Windows Components.

- Select Terminal Services and click Next.

- In Terminal Services Setup, click Application server mode.

- Next, you need to choose whether you want permissions to be compatible with Windows 2000 Users or with Terminal Server Users. The Windows 2000 Users option is the more secure option.

- In Terminal Services Licensing Setup, specify whether you want to license your entire network/enterprise or just your domain and then provide the directory location for the database. Click next.

- On the next scree click finish.

- You will need to reboot your server.

After installation, you have to re-install all the shared applications if it was already installed.

You have to install the Terminal client software on the client.

To install client for Teminal Server. There are 2 ways to do it.

- Go to %SystemRoot%\System32\Clients\Tsclient\Net\ directory on the server.

- Here you will see a "win16" and a "win32" folder.

- Select the one that you will be using.

- Inside the "win32" folder you will see 2 folders.

- Inside the "Win16" you will see 4 folders.

- Copy files from each directory on a floppy.

- Insert the first disk in your client and run setup.exe

- Another option is to run the "Terminal Services Client Creator"

- Go to administrative tools there you will see Terminal Services Client creator

- Then you will see two options

- Select appropriate one

- That will copy necessary files to setup your client to floppy drive.

- Then insert the first disk and just run setup.exe

If there are something I come to know then I will let you know.

Cheers

Edited by Himal Rai

Himal Jee,

Thanx a million.

I was familiar about Terminal Server with Administrative Mode and Application Mode, but I was asked to do something that I never heard, running client without OS. huh.gif ,

Now, question is, what is the requirement for Client PC to run all the application via Terminal server? And if there are more than 60 users, does Network becomes crowded and slow down?

Does all those software installed on server be available for client?

Is there anyway we can restrict client not to install additional software by themself in local machine?

Thank you in advance Himal jee.

Puter and himal ji,

Though i do not have any solution for problem that you have raised, but if i remember well then, the place where i studied have big lab. In that lab, we have only terminal (no cpu attached) and we used to do telnet first to connect to server, then start doing program or whatever.. on those days, we used to use only lynx to connect to internet. only text based internet, no graphics..

So, i believe that, in our lab, all the terminal(client) were without local OS.

regards,

So, i believe that, in our lab, all the terminal(client) were without local OS.

Sanskar bro

Tyo bhane pachhi Mainframe baat chaleko hunuparchha. another word we called it Centralised computing.

In the mainframe system, terminals which can only act as input/output devices are connected to the central computer (Mainframe) that means all the processing are done in the mainframe.

1. what is the requirement for Client PC to run all the application via Terminal server?
if there are more than 60 users, does Network becomes crowded and slow down?

2. Does all those software installed on server be available for client?

3. Is there anyway we can restrict client not to install additional software by themself in local machine?

Puter bro,

Terminal clients without OS hunchha tar.... depends on the system. I hope you understood from the avove explanation.

1. Clients can be installed in.....

- Windows 3.x 9x, NT, CE, 2000.

- For Unix, Macintosh and MS-DOS you need additional software.

Dos baat chalne computer le pani hunchha tar you need third party software.

At least Windows 9X chalne computer bhae pugyo....

Terminal server ma chahi minimum 128 RAM and additional 10-20 MB for each client that depends on what applcation will be used by the clients.

Whether the server will be slow or crowded that depends on the specification of your server.

2. Yes, alll the shared software you install after installing the Terminal service or re-installing the software if it has been installed before installing the Terminal server will be available to the clients.

3. if there are 9X then I doubt.

la malai thaha bhako chahi yati nai ho...

Hi

You could use dumb terminals(i.e. terminal emulators) there's one manufactured by i think Axis or something like that.

It has no OS and boots from built in ROM. It supports RDP protocol thus enabling you to connect to the Terminal Server.

sail

Yeah go for citrix which is reknown as 'thin client'. For your need I guess this is the best solution.

You can run this using any operating system. Mainly it was used to access UNIX. But lityerally it will go with any network operating system