Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Questions about Scholarships by BABURAM SUBEDI

Recommended Posts

Dear sir

I am intending to go to the US for the sake of my study. And I want to get scholarship to study there. From where can I apply for that. what are the possible methods of the scholarship.

1 Is SAT compulsary for the scholarship?

2 What type of universities charges less fee with the students? what are the merits and the 3 demerits of studing in those Universites?

4 What are the problems that Nepali students face while getting the job in the USA?

5Can we maintain the cost of the study by part time work?

5I intended to apply for the microbiology or computer science in ur neutral view which subject have great scope in the US and other market of the world?


6 what are the possible trainings that we should or can take for getting the job in the USA easily?


7 Which state and which universities are being problamatic for the Nepali students to reside and study in?


8 what are the commonly confused or risky questions in the Visa Interview?


What are the things that I can or should do get job in USA easily before leaving from my motherland?










Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frequently Asked Questions on Studying in the United State


1. Is U.S. study appropriate for me?


Studying in the United States may or may not be appropriate for you. Before you begin, you should consider the following:


Studying in the U.S. is expensive. Comprehensive costs at U.S. universities can range from US$12,000 per year to over US$45,000 per year.

Scholarships are extremely difficult to obtain, especially at the undergraduate level. The majority of American universities do not award scholarships to international students. Only about 50 U.S. colleges and universities (out of more than 3,000) offer full scholarships to international students at the undergraduate level.

You cannot rely on employment to pay for your education in the US. Working off-campus is illegal and on campus employment for international students is limited to 20 hours per week, usually at $5 - 6 per hour.

You need a strong command of the English language. You should have a strong command of both spoken and written English to succeed in an American university. Most universities require a minimum iBT TOEFL score of 61 or above (PBT score of 500) for admission. Most graduate schools require an iBT TOEFT score of at least 80 (PBT score of 550).



2. What are the minimum academic requirements for studying in the U.S. ?


You must have completed at least a high school degree in order to apply for admission to an undergraduate program in the U.S. Equivalent degrees in Nepal would be the Intermediate, 10+2, PCL, or GCE ‘A’ Levels. You must have completed at least 16 years of education to apply for admission to a graduate program. Most graduate programs in the US will require you to have completed a four-year bachelor’s degree in your field of study.



3. I have a 3-year bachelor's degree from Nepal/India. Do I qualify for admission to a master’s degree program in the US?


Your three-year bachelor's degree will not qualify you for admission into a graduate program in the U.S. If you have a three-year bachelor’s degree, one option is to apply as a transfer student to an undergraduate program in the US. Upon completion of an American bachelor’s degree (usually after two years), you can apply to a graduate program in the US. You could also complete the master’s degree in Nepal and then apply directly into a graduate program in the U.S. Finally, a small number of universities offer bridge programs through which students may enroll in undergraduate courses for one year before moving on to graduate studies in the same field. However, such bridge programs are very rare.





Which standardized tests will I be required to take ?


The TOEFL is required of virtually all applicants, regardless of the intended field or level of study. Undergraduate students are often required to take the SAT I. Some of the competitive schools require scores from the SAT II as well. Graduate students are almost always required to take the GRE General Test. However, students applying to MBA programs take the GMAT instead of the GRE. A few graduate programs will require scores from the GRE Subject tests in addition to the GRE General test.




5. How much does it cost to study in the U.S.?


The cost of studying in the United States varies widely among universities and the cost of living varies from one location to the next. The figures listed below should provide some indication of how much students can expect to pay for 12 months of study in the U.S.


Tuition: $ 3,500 - $ 30,000

Room and board: $ 4,800 - $ 12,000

Books and supplies: $ 500 - $1,000

Health insurance: $ 500 - $ 1000

Personal expenses: $ 1,200 – $ 3,000



6. What kind of financial assistance is available for international students in the U.S. ?


In general, there are very few financial aid opportunities available to international students in the United States. At the undergraduate level, only a handful of universities award full scholarships. Some offer partial scholarships. At the graduate level, financial assistance in the form of research or teaching assistantships may be available to international students in engineering and the sciences. Graduate students in the social sciences, humanities, arts, and business receive virtually no funding.


Every year, a small number of Nepali students (usually about 6-8) are also selected/nominated by USEF/Nepal for Fulbright and other scholarship, but only for master's level and post-doctoral studies in the US. For more information about USEF-Nepal's grant program please visit USEF grant Program. .



7. Can I work while I am a student in the US?


Yes, but only on campus. Working off-campus is illegal if you are an international student. On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week during the regular school term and 40 hours per week during vacations. Even if you are able to work the maximum number of hours permitted, you will earn no more than US$ 4,000 - 5,000 per year. In essence, you will not earn enough money to pay for all of your expenses.




8. Where do I obtain information on American universities?

USEF's Education Advising Center's library has a number of excellent guidebooks and directories that you can refer to for detailed information on American universities.


9. What documents must I submit for admission to US colleges and universities?


You will be required to submit the following items before universities will evaluate your application for admission:


A completed application form

An application fee ranging from $25 - $100

Attested copies of all academic transcripts

Financial documents proving you have adequate funds to study in the U.S.

Official scores from standardized tests such as the TOEFL, SAT, and GRE

An application essay

Two or three letters of recommendation.

All items must be submitted by the application deadline set by the college. Deadlines can range anywhere from 3 to 9 months before classes start.




10. Where can I go for more information?



If you would like more information about studying in the United States, you should attend one of the Group Advising Sessions offered by the EAC every Friday at 10:00 a.m. The session is free and provides general information on all aspects of higher education in the USA. Once you have attended the group session, you may sign up to meet individually with an educational adviser for further guidance.



Source : http://www.fulbrightnepal.org.np/faq.html



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.