Sign in to follow this  
santos

Problem with USB drive

I've got a fairly new (about 6 months old) pen drive which suddenly stopped working from yesterday. Whenever I put it in USB drive and try to open it, it comes up with a message that the disk is not formatted and asks if I want to format it. And when I tried to format it, another window pops up saying that the disk is write protected. There is no lock on the memory stick to unlock it. Does anyone know of any solution to this problem?

Sorry for the mis-information in the title. The problem is with disk, not the drive.

Edited by santos

I think it is dead. I had the same problem, could do nothing rather than buying new one.

If it is only 6 months then I think you still have a warranty for that. I think it will be replace but not sure.

Sorry, can't help.

Thanks Himalji for replying. I stupidly bought it in New York without a receipt because I was offered a discount if I payed in cash and didn't want a reciept.

I was checking some websites regarding this problem, and there seem to be suggestions like not to use flash drives in PCs without Win XP. I've bought another flash drive, however, I am worried that my home computer (OS Win 2000) might ruin it again. Are flash drives really vulnerable in non-XP pcs?

I was checking some websites regarding this problem, and there seem to be suggestions like not to use flash drives in PCs without Win XP. I've bought another flash drive, however, I am worried that my home computer (OS Win 2000) might ruin it again. Are flash drives really vulnerable in non-XP pcs?

76494[/snapback]

Santos,

I don't think USB Disk need XP to run successfully. I am using it for more than year in Windows 98/2000 pro/ server and XP and never had problem. It probably depends how you use it. For example if you unplug disk without disconnecting from OS that may damage data or disk. Second, it depends on Quality of Disk according to my experience. I have two disks, one LG and other unknown company. LG is the one I am using for more than year and never had problem while using other one, which was bigger in capacity than LG, I lost more than 500 MB of data while transferring them from one pc to other. I could see files and folders but could not copy or delete or open. Finally I had to format disk in order to reuse again.

Did you try to format your USB disk? Try that and see. Otherwise like Himal jee said, it is probably dead.

I don't think USB Disk need XP to run successfully. I am using it for more than year in Windows 98/2000 pro/ server and XP and never had problem. It probably depends how you use it. For example if you unplug disk without disconnecting from OS that may damage data or disk. Second, it depends on Quality of Disk according to my experience. I have two disks, one LG and other unknown company. LG is the one I am using for more than year and never had problem while using other one, which was bigger in capacity than LG, I lost more than 500 MB of data while transferring  them from one pc to other. I could see files and folders but could not copy or delete or open.  Finally I had to format disk in order to reuse again.

Did you try to format your USB disk? Try that and see. Otherwise like Himal jee said, it is probably dead.

76495[/snapback]

I suppose it's dead. An untimely death!!

Before you burry it under, give me it's brand name, if I can help.

76510[/snapback]

I found the CD that came with the flash drive, and installed the 'format disk utility'. The program seems to have formatted the disk, however, I still cannot open it.

It's called 'Flash Disk Utility', and the manufacturer is Wistron Corp.

I found the CD that came with the flash drive, and installed the 'format disk utility'. The program seems to have formatted the disk, however, I still cannot open it.

It's called 'Flash Disk Utility', and the manufacturer is Wistron Corp.

76529[/snapback]

I have shown your problem in my lab, they said "whats the point in having a usb pen drive??? thats one of the stupiest inventions ive heard of along with the pen mp3 player and pen radio" smile.gif

sorry no offence, that was for me: However try thiese solution:

1. Try it in another computer

2. Try to partition it

3. Most likely if you can't format it on other computers then the drive is in fact bad. Also make sure that you close all files and folders that are contained on your USB drive before you unplug it or you'll corrupt it.

4.If nothing works try this FINAL...get a magnet, although USB use light to write data to the drive, magnet will either wipe out disk

IF SO happened.... YOUR USB will be working

IF NOT IT IS DEAD anyways, smile.gif

PS: Don't forget the magnet.