Sign in to follow this  
NPaudel

MSc or PHD students in Newcastle,Cranfield or Dundee University

I am planning to do one of the following:

-MSc in Pipeline engineering from Cranfield or Newcastle university. Or

-MSc in Structural engineering from Univ of Dundee.

I have been working in Middle east for the last 4 years in Pipeline installation sector.

Is there any CURRENT/FORMER Nepali student in those subjects in those universities? If there is, I would really appreciate if he/she could share the experiences/difficulties during admission,after being admitted and after the completion of the course. I have read loads of information available in the internet. I want to get the actual perspective from the eyes of a Nepali student.

Dear NPaudel,

as you have pointed 'particular' courses, rare ppls can share about 'particular' issues. Being particular is being yourself. Please be yourself and share generalities or contemporaries. Sharing particular interest is good, but extracting ideas from general is better.

Hope that you will get success in one of the universities. Also, here in WNSO-Chautari, many ppls are here from the UK. please login regs.

Dear NPaudel,

as you have pointed 'particular' courses, rare ppls can share about 'particular' issues. Being particular is being yourself. Please be yourself and share generalities or contemporaries. Sharing particular interest is good, but extracting ideas from general is better.

Hope that you will get success in one of the universities. Also, here in WNSO-Chautari, many ppls are here from the UK. please login regs.

I am aware that its rare to find people who can help me with my query. Thank u for your reply although I am not sure how much it helped me.

Thanks again for being with me without knowing who I am.

Edited by NPaudel

Dear NP,

I would advise you to contact Programme Director of the universities that you have preselected for the purpose of your postgraduate studies. You can also ask them whether they have at present or in the past had nepalese students in that faculty. If they have had than they will contact their students and supply your e-mail address so that you will receive e-mail from students. That will give you an opportunity to explore bit more about university and other stuffs. General entry requirement for postgraduate degree are as follows. However, you are again strongly advised to contact particular university with such questions as not every uni has same criteria.

1. Transcript and certificate of First degree

2. IELTS with at least score of 6.5 if students language is other than english (However, if you have completed your degree from British University you may be exempted from such condition)

3. Personal statement or purpose of study (for Phd - proposal)

4. Any work experience (especially 3 years managerial experience for MBA)

5. Possibly face to face interview with programme Director

Good luck!!

Dear NPaudel,

I am aware that its rare to find people who can help me with my query. Thank u for your reply although I am not sure how much it helped me.

Thanks again for being with me without knowing who I am.

I have some working relationship with Newcasle but unfortuantely I am not from there and know very little about your area of interest. I am working in the area of Law and Biotechnology and I am in sheffield which is near newcastle. As a place, Newcastle is very nice and student service of the University is brillient. Some of my students are now studying in Newcastle.

Duddee is also a very good University in ranking. Must eb very good.

If you want to get any particular logistic information about Newcastle, you can directly e-mail me. I don't check in the forum regularly due to various reason

Dear NP,

I would advise you to contact Programme Director of the universities that you have preselected for the purpose of your postgraduate studies. You can also ask them whether they have at present or in the past had nepalese students in that faculty. If they have had than they will contact their students and supply your e-mail address so that you will receive e-mail from students. That will give you an opportunity to explore bit more about university and other stuffs. General entry requirement for postgraduate degree are as follows. However, you are again strongly advised to contact particular university with such questions as not every uni has same criteria.

2. IELTS with at least score of 6.5 if students language is other than english (However, if you have completed your degree from British University you may be exempted from such condition)

Good luck!!

I don't think they will accept IELTS 6.5 for Ph.D. Check it with the University, it could be 7 or 7.5

And also, try to find perspective supervisor who has interetst in your issue. That is the fast track fro Ph. D. For Masters you have to follow the normal program anyway.

If you are looking for funsing as well, then check at jobs.ac.uk if any Universities are advertising GTAship or Research fellowship in the area.

Good luck

Dear NP,

Good luck!!

I don't think they will accept IELTS 6.5 for Ph.D. Check it with the University, it could be 7 or 7.5

And also, try to find perspective supervisor who has interetst in your issue. That is the fast track fro Ph. D. For Masters you have to follow the normal program anyway.

If you are looking for funsing as well, then check at jobs.ac.uk if any Universities are advertising GTAship or Research fellowship in the area.

Good luck

Thank you all for your comments and informations.

I think I had written that I want to do MSc (not Ph.D). I got 101 in TOEFL(iBT) which is equivalent to 7 in IELTS:this is well above the score required by the universities for my purpose. I want to know whether making an online application solely by myself or applying through an Educational agency/consultancy would be better in terms of chances of being admitted to a good university. Does applying through an agency/consultancy give better credibility to my application?

Dear NP,

Good luck!!

Good luck

Thank you all for your comments and informations.

I think I had written that I want to do MSc (not Ph.D). I got 101 in TOEFL(iBT) which is equivalent to 7 in IELTS:this is well above the score required by the universities for my purpose. I want to know whether making an online application solely by myself or applying through an Educational agency/consultancy would be better in terms of chances of being admitted to a good university. Does applying through an agency/consultancy give better credibility to my application?

Applying through Agency or consultance sometime damage the credibility depending upon the previous students came through that channel. But if you apply yourself, your application will be looked onto on your own personal circumstances. So I would strongly advise you to approach yourself. Moreover, if you aplly yourself, you might be able to request for funding if available, but if you are applying through an agency, most university will not consider funding requests. To be honest, good Universities in UK will not have such a thing called "authentic agent". They migh tbe working with some consultancies but they do not have any inflence in slection process. The so called agent will have relationship with international office in most of the Universities but selections are made by the actual department. I have closely seen student recruitment and selection process on which most of the students who apllied on their own with good academic background got preference. Agency or consultancies are alwyas a money making business. If it is something like foundation or undergraduate level, it is good to apply through an agency not for Postgraduate.

You seems to have a very good academic backgroud. So apply on your own.

Dear NP,

As Yogesh ji said, applying your own will be more appropriate than applying through agencies. It will give you more opportunity to exchange corresspondence with your programme director. I have had the same confusion few months ago when my brother wishes to apply for visa. He asked me for a same query as you have and I recommended him to avoid applying through agencies. He applied himself got offer from university in few weeks. However, it was for MBA at University of Surrey. I presume you may encounter with the same process.

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any further confusions.

Good luck!!