7 replies to this topic

#1 kslsanjeeb9

kslsanjeeb9

Honourable Member

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:37 AM

KATHMANDU, July 2 - India has decided to build a 126 megawatt hydroelectric project in the Koshi River basin in the State of Bihar without informing Nepal, though the project poses the potential threat of inundating land in Saptari district, owing to the project site's proximity to the Nepali border.
On June 7, Bihar State Hydroelectric Power Corporation (BSHPC) issued a tender notice for preparation of a Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the proposed Dagmara project. The corporation's website (www.bshpcltd.com) says that the project will be completed in five years.

"Sealed tenders are invited from registered, enlisted and reputed consultancy organizations, experienced in all aspects of hydroelectric development from concept to completion and fulfilling the stipulated eligibility criteria laid down in the bid document, for detailed survey and investigation and for preparation of bankable DPR for the 126 MW Dagmara Hydroelectric Project in Supaul district of Bihar in the Koshi River Basin," the BSHPC tender notice says.

Government officials here have not even been informed of India's decision to build the project.

"We have received no information about this from the Indian side," said Anup Kumar Upadhyay, joint-secretary at the Ministry of Water Resources. "They should have informed us. A country cannot build infrastructure that has the potential of adversely affecting its neighbor," he added.

An official at the Indian Embassy in Kathmandu, however, said the project will be built "too far" from the Nepal border, and there is no possibility of it submerging land in Nepal.

However, the government's survey maps suggest otherwise.

The BSHPC notice says that project, which will have a barrage type diversion structure, will be located 22.5 kilometers from Koshi barrage. Topographical map of the Department of Survey shows that Saptari's Kunauli village, which is the southernmost part of Nepal's territory in the area, is located 14.5 kilometers south of Koshi barrage. This means the Dagmara project will be located just eight kilometers south of Kunauli.

Umesh Nath Parajuli, Nepali team leader of Koshi High Dam Committee, said, "Building a barrage just eight kilometers south of the border will surely affect Nepal. The effect can be more serious when such barrages are built on flatland, which is the

case in Saptari and across the border."

Even the Department of Water Induced Disaster Prevention is unaware of India's decision to build the project.

Narayan Prasad Bhattarai, director general of the Department, said, "We will inquire into this."

Meanwhile, locals in Saptari, who have been facing the fury of the Koshi River for decades every monsoon, fear that the barrage that will be built for the Dagmara

project could affect tens of thousands of families

living in areas including Kunauli, Hanumannagar, and other border areas of Saptari district.

"An estimated fifty thousand families might be affected by rising level of water in the Koshi River, due to the new barrage," said Deo Narayan Yadav, talking to ekantipur from Saptari. Yadav, who is an executive member of Koshi Victims' Society, resides in Rajbiraj, but owns ancestral land near the Indian border.

Meanwhile, Interim Parliamentarian Ananda Pokharel of CPN-UML said that the issue would be raised in the next meeting of the interim parliament's Natural Resources and Means Committee.

India has constructed or gone ahead with the construction of several bunds and barrages along or near the Nepal-India border in the past without prior information to the northern riparian state.

Rasiyawal-Khurdalautal bund in Rupandehi, Laxmanpur barrage in Banke and the Barganiya bund in Rautahat are some of the prominent examples.

Posted on: 2007-07-01 20:26:14 (Server Time)
Source :Kantipur Daily
Management is Art & Science of Getting Law as Results , this process results in Sanjibalisation .

#2 sunil

sunil

Chautari Board / ICC/ National Committee

• ICC
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

Good information for all of us. Thanks.
Sunil Kumar Joshi
WNSO - Nepal, Kathmandu

Visit My Website
Visit My Facebook
Visit My Academia.edu
Visit My Album

#3 BS

BS

General Secretary - WNSO International Co-ordination Committee

• ICC
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, we should initiate protest to this upon verificaiton of the news coverage. What do you feel about this idea ?

#4 kslsanjeeb9

kslsanjeeb9

Honourable Member

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE(BS @ Jul 2 2007, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, we should initiate protest to this upon verificaiton of the news coverage. What do you feel about this idea ?

Yes indeed , the source of this news is Kantipur Daily National , we have to address such issues from our platform in a very Peaceful and Democrartic . The Protest of such activites should be initaited immmediately , i have been speaking with students of law in this regards . Hope all will join this Protest .

Management is Art & Science of Getting Law as Results , this process results in Sanjibalisation .

#5 kslsanjeeb9

kslsanjeeb9

Honourable Member

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE(sunil @ Jul 2 2007, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good information for all of us. Thanks.

Sunil Dai thank you for your appreciation .

#6 BS

BS

General Secretary - WNSO International Co-ordination Committee

• ICC
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

kslsanjeeb jee
Thanks for your reply and I really appreciate your initiative to start making a protest. I also like you to suggest something on this. I believe every entity in this universe try to get the best out of anything and so is India doing. We need to raise our voice to secure our interests as well. Launching protests will also help politicians to speak something. Beside your regular activities, try to get petitions online and later we can submit that to news media and to Indian Embassy at Kathmandu (or elsewhere). I am not sure if wnso would be good forum to discuss this. Let members of wnso have their say on this.

Thanks

QUOTE(kslsanjeeb9 @ Jul 2 2007, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes indeed , the source of this news is Kantipur Daily National , we have to address such issues from our platform in a very Peaceful and Democrartic . The Protest of such activites should be initaited immmediately , i have been speaking with students of law in this regards . Hope all will join this Protest .

#7 kslsanjeeb9

kslsanjeeb9

Honourable Member

• National Committee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE(BS @ Jul 3 2007, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kslsanjeeb jee
Thanks for your reply and I really appreciate your initiative to start making a protest. I also like you to suggest something on this. I believe every entity in this universe try to get the best out of anything and so is India doing. We need to raise our voice to secure our interests as well. Launching protests will also help politicians to speak something. Beside your regular activities, try to get petitions online and later we can submit that to news media and to Indian Embassy at Kathmandu (or elsewhere). I am not sure if wnso would be good forum to discuss this. Let members of wnso have their say on this.

Thanks

QUOTE(kslsanjeeb9 @ Jul 2 2007, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BS Jee !

I will try my best to get online petiton from my side , regarding the Wnso i dont know if whether it is a good paltform to discuss such issues , and also wait for majority of members views on this topic , lets wait for them lets wait and have there say , i can also arrange more materials and papers on it from the law library , also can dicuss it with the Experts interanational relations , the status of nepal and if we can peacefully approach the embassay authority with information , it would be better. Now lets wait for the senior members views on the topic matter . I woul also appreciate your efforts on it .

#8 Deven

Deven

WNSO UK

• National Committee
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

I do not think India can unilaterally decide to build a hydel plant in breach of international law. Obviously, if there is a potential threat, such a threat should be dealt with.

India is in desperate need of energy and so are Nepal and many other countries. The important thing is - What is Nepal (govt) doing? Obviously the DPR will assess environmental impact and several other issues. But, bigbrother is always in winning side. I think Nepal should learn a lesson from this and try to build potential plants that Nepal boosts on.

Constructing Hydel Plant involves money and lots of manpower, but there are enough skilled and unskilled manpower to build such plants. Why not to utilise what we have now. There is so much liquidity of money in Nepal that at least building 1,000 MW power plant should be a viable option. In particular, skilled manpower within the Army and Maoist ranks could be used. There are several hydel construction companies in Nepal with skilled manpower and experience in international standards.

We got to do something.

Deven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users